Since 2012, Leapfrog tracks hospital performance across the nation twice a year with its Hospital Safety Score. The Group’s most recent 2016 rankings monitored factors in 25000 hospitals that included surgical errors, hospital staff quality, infection risk and other safety issues like patient falls and bedsores. Leapfrog then grades performance along scale of A to F where A boasts superb patient care and F warns patient to leave hospital before doctors may kill him. Selecting the right hospital, its Newsroom reported, can reduce your risk of avoidable death by 50%. In its Spring 2016 Report, Leapfrog found a 9% higher risk of avoidable death in B hospitals, 35% higher in C hospitals, and 50% higher in D and F hospitals, than in A hospitals.
As usual Illinois crested towards the peak of the Score.
155 hospitals in Illinois were scored and almost half of them received an A. The following are the top 10 hospitals that received consistent peak rankings since 2012.
Safest Hospitals in Illinois
- Advocate Condell Medical Center|Libertyville
- Advocate Good Samaritan Hospital|Downers Grove
- Advocate Illinois Masonic Medical Center|Chicago
- Advocate Lutheran General Hospital|Park Ridge
- AMITA Health St. Alexius Medical Center|Hoffman Estates
- HSHS St. John’s Hospital|Springfield
- HSHS St. Joseph’s Hospital|Breese
- Morris Hospital|Morris
- Northwestern Medicine Central DuPage Hospital|Winfield
- Rush University Medical Center|Chicago